If you want to MAIL in your entry rather than submit it online, please print out this page. Then fill it in completely and mail it with your entry fee and 1,500 word submission.
For a PDF version of the entry form that you can fill in, print, and mail; click HERE
If you changed your mind and want to submit online CLICK HERE!
The SFWC Writing Contest is held each year in conjunction with the San Francisco Writers Conference, but it is open to all writers…worldwide!
Entry can be your unpublished manuscript, short story, essay, or poem…or (new this year!) a self-published book or eBook. See the rules below. Deadline: December 31, 2013. Winners will be announced at the 2014 SFWC on February 15, 2014.
Grand Prize is $500 and a consultation with a literary agent who represents works in the winner’s genre.
First place winners in each of the other categories will be awarded $100 prizes. Finalists can, and should, proudly include a mention of their finalist award in query letters to agents and publishers…and on the covers of their books! NAME:_____________________________________________________________________
PHONE: (______) _________________ Mobile Phone: (_____) __________________________ ADDRESS:_____________________________________________________________________________________ EMAIL: ________________________________________________________________________
CATEGORY: Adult Fiction Non-Fiction Memoir Poetry Children’s book YA Book Self-published book or eBook
ENTRY TITLE: _________________________________________________________________
PAYMENT by Check: Attach check made out to SFWC Writing Contest. There is a $45 entry fee per entry.
PAYMENT by Credit Card: Card will be charged the $45 entry fee per entry.
CARD # _______________________________________________________ Exp. ________ 3 or 4 digit security # _________
OFFICIAL RULES: (Rules and entry form can also be found at www.SFWriters.org. Click on the CONTEST button.)
1. Entry must be received by 5 p.m. on December 31, 2013. Write “Writing Contest” in large print on lower left corner of envelope. For confirmation your entry was received, use “delivery confirmation” at the post office, FedEx or UPS. We do not confirm receipt of entries.
2. You may enter as many times as you wish, provided that the entry has not been published prior to the contest (except Self-published category).
3. Entry can be up to 1,500 words printed on one side (no double-sided) of white paper in 14-point type (Times New Roman preferred). For Self-published book category, you may also send a copy of the book. Include a copy of this official completed entry form and $45 entry fee for each entry. Multiple entries: You can use one envelope if each entry is paper clipped together (not stapled) with a separate entry form for each entry. If the check submitted with the entries does not include the correct entry fee for all your entries, we will arbitrarily select entries from your envelope.
4. Do not put your name on any page of your entry EXCEPT the check, the official entry form, and (if applicable) the self-published book.
5. No employee, board member, or family member of Larsen Pomada Literary Agents, the San Francisco Writers Conference, San Francisco Writers University may participate in this contest.
6. Finalists: Announcement of the finalists will be made on the SFWC website and SFWC Newsletter only. Check www.SFWriters.org after January 28th for a list of finalists. This is the only place you will find out if you are a finalist. We do not call or email finalists.
7. Winners: After the announcement of the winners at the San Francisco Writers Conference, the 2014 winners will be listed at sfwriters.org. Please do not call or email for a list of winners. Winners will be contacted and informed of their prize.
Judges approved by the SFWC management team will select the top 5 entries in each category. These finalists will be judged by a group of publishing industry professionals to select the grand prize winner and winners in each category. The Contest judges solely on the quality of writing and awards prizes accordingly. However, in the self-published category, judging encompasses the overall quality of the finished book, as well.
Contestant Agreement: I have read and agree to abide by the official rules of the San Francisco Writing Contest. I understand and agree that any questions regarding the interpretation of the official rules and any matters relating to the contest that are not specifically covered by the official rules will be decided by the contest officials, and I will accept as final the decision of the contest officials in such matters. I also realize and accept that judging writing is subjective by nature. Accordingly, I will accept and abide by the decisions of any judges and/or contest officials regarding winners or runners-up in the contest. My signature on this Contestant Agreement shows that I accept as reasonable the statements made above. I am signing this Contestant Agreement in exchange for the acceptance and processing of my entry in the San Francisco Writing Contest.
SIGNATURE: _____________________________________________________ DATE: _________________ Mail completed form, check and entry to: San Francisco Writing Contest, 1029 Jones St., San Francisco CA 94109
Deadline: Received by 5 p.m. on December 31, 2013
Questions? Email us at SFWritersCon@aol.com