We are looking for great writing! The writing contest sponsored by the San Francisco Writers Conference is open to writers worldwide in six categories: fiction, memoir, nonfiction (not including memoir), poetry, children’s books, and young adult. For the first time, we are also having a contest for self-published books and eBooks.
Writers may enter up to the first 1500 words of an unpublished novel or short story, memoir, other nonfiction, poem, children’s, or young adult book. You may enter more than once in a category and in more than one category. The winners will be announced at the 2014 San Francisco Writers Conference.
- The Grand Prize: The best entry overall will be awarded $500 and a half-hour consultation with an agent working in the winner’s genre.
- First-place: Winners in each category will be awarded $100.
- Finalists: Recognition! This contest is sponsored by SFWC, a nationally recognized conference. A finalist can, and should, mention their finalist award in query letters to agents and publishers—and on the cover of their self-published book.
GUIDELINES FOR THE CONTEST
1. The Contest will be open from November 1 until December 31, 2013.
2. For each entry you MUST use a separate official entry form and up to the first 1500 words of the unpublished work in one of the following categories.
- Fiction (Short story or novel)
- Nonfiction (not including memoir)
- Children’s book
- Young adult book
- Self-published eBook or printed book. (Any genre)
FOR ELECTRONIC ENTRIES: Fill out the Online Entry Form. You will upload your submission as a file (in Word doc., PDF or RTF format) of up to 1500 words. Use 14 point Times or Times New Roman font. Be sure your file contains the title of your submission. (Example: if the title of your submission is Blue Skies, the file should be BlueSkies.doc or BlueSkies.pdf. Payment can be made using a credit card. If you prefer to pay by check see the next paragraph for Mailed Entries.
FOR MAILED ENTRIES: Print out the completed Entry Form. For each mailed entry, you must PRINT out the 1,500 word submission and clip the page(s) to a separate entry form. Please do not staple the pages. Use 14 point (Times New Roman or Times font preferred), double-spaced, on white paper. Do not put your name on any page of your entry except the official entry form. If your entry is a self-published book, you may also include a copy of the book. Include the entry fee—either a check made out to SFWC Writing Contest or your credit card information entered into the form. Mail completed entry to: SFWC Writing Contest, 1029 Jones St., San Francisco, CA 94109.
3. You may enter as many times and in as many categories as you wish. Except for the Self-published book category, the entry must not have been previously published.
4. No submission can be considered unless accompanied by the entry fee of $45 per entry.
5. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on December 31, 2013. Sorry, but we can’t return entries or acknowledge their receipt.
6. A group of judges approved by the San Francisco Writers Conference management team will select the top five entries in each category and then these finalists will be judged by a group of publishing industry professionals to select the grand prize winner and winners in each category. The San Francisco Writing Contest is judged solely on the quality of writing and content.
Finalists will be announced on the Conference website after January 28 and in the SFWC Newsletter. These are the only places you will find out if you are a finalist. We will not contact finalists.
The winners will be announced at the Saturday luncheon of the San Francisco Writers Conference, February 15th, 2014. Winners will be contacted following the event if they do not attend the Conference.
See the entry form for complete rules. For more information or if you have questions, email Elizabeth Pomada at email@example.com